Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Low-Carb Scalloped Potatoes (GF)


Oops you can tell I've been so busy that my table is still decked out for Christmas!

This is my friend, Barbara Goldstein's, recipe.  She says, "All I can say is that we love this dish and had it with BBQ ribs."

Happy Birthday for the 16th Feb., dear Barbo!

ChayoteImage via WikipediaI made this dish as well and my husband could not stop raving about Barbo's recipe even a day or two later!  I bought two more chayote squash yesterday and Ian inquired, "Oh, great can you make that scalloped chayote casserole again.  I really liked that!"  I was actually planning on making Barbo's latkes next.  (smile)  Barbo has been a friend to me ever since I first started low-carbing in 1999.  We have never actually met in person, but the internet sure makes this a smaller world.
Chayote insideImage via WikipediaPotatoes Scalloped LC
Chayote

Serves 4-6

Melt butter in a 7”x11” Pyrex baking dish
2 large
chayote squash peeled, seeded
1 oz. chopped onion or shallot (optional)
Cream cheese
Thin slices of Tillamook or other cheese
1 egg beaten
½ c. LC milk
½ c. Cream
2 rounded Tbs.
CarbQuick (or use a bake mix and 1/2 tsp baking powder)
Salt and Pepper

Mandolin the
squash or slice thin as for
scalloped potatoes.
Pressure cook for 2 min.*

Layer ½ of the
chayote
in buttered pan
Dot with cream cheese
Layer with thin slices of cheese  (I used Provolone)
Salt and pepper layers
Repeat.

Beat egg with cream, milk, and CarbQuick
Pour over all.

Bake 350 for about 35-40 minutes. This should have
a custard like appearance and be slightly puffed.


*Helpful Hint:  If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can boil the sliced chayote squash until almost tender. 

Nutritional Analysis:  8 servings, 1 serving:
244.3 calories; 12.7 g protein; 19.4 g fat; 3.9 g carbs

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment